AAP candidate arrested for inciting mob over rape
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday said police have arrested one of its candidates for Delhi assembly polls on charges of rioting and damage to public property when he went to police station along with the family of a rape victim to register an FIR.
"Shakurpur Basti Assembly constituency candidate Satyendra Jain had gone to Meera Bagh police station to get the FIR registered along with the rape victim`s family members. Though police registered an FIR under pressure from AAP activists but refused to arrest the accused," an AAP spokesperson said.
Following the refusal, family members of the victim and locals got agitated and blocked the road near Meera Bagh colony, he said, and alleged that police resorted to force and beat the family members.
Subsequently, police arrested Jain on charges of rioting and damaging public property, the spokesperson said.
AAP alleged it was done due to political pressure and its members are being targeted for helping rape victims.
"In the last one month, around 20 AAP activists have been beaten by police for helping four rape victims...Arrest of Jain proves that it’s an attempt to discourage AAP activists," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!