AAP candidate arrested for inciting mob over rape
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday said police have arrested one of its candidates for Delhi assembly polls on charges of rioting and damage to public property when he went to police station along with the family of a rape victim to register an FIR.
"Shakurpur Basti Assembly constituency candidate Satyendra Jain had gone to Meera Bagh police station to get the FIR registered along with the rape victim`s family members. Though police registered an FIR under pressure from AAP activists but refused to arrest the accused," an AAP spokesperson said.
Following the refusal, family members of the victim and locals got agitated and blocked the road near Meera Bagh colony, he said, and alleged that police resorted to force and beat the family members.
Subsequently, police arrested Jain on charges of rioting and damaging public property, the spokesperson said.
AAP alleged it was done due to political pressure and its members are being targeted for helping rape victims.
"In the last one month, around 20 AAP activists have been beaten by police for helping four rape victims...Arrest of Jain proves that it’s an attempt to discourage AAP activists," the statement said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards