AAP dharna hits commuters hard, four Metro stations closed
New Delhi: Commuters were hit hard for the second day on Tuesday due to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal`s dharna in the heart of the capital with authorities shutting down four Metro stations and buses being diverted.
Four Metro stations -- Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhavan and Race Course -- remained closed from 6 am after a late night direction from the Delhi Police to the DMRC.
Even the interchange at Central Secretariat was closed. Trains on Line 6 coming from Badarpur to Central Secretariat terminated at Khan Market Metro station. This arrangement will be in place till further directions, a DMRC official said.
The commuters, who work in the Central Secretariat area (Shastri Bhavan, Rail Bhavan, Parliament, North and South Block), were worst hit because of this.
To add to their woes, DTC buses were diverted forcing office goers to walk long distances.
"We alighted at the Khan Market Station and walked for about four kilometres. There were many who people who found it difficult to make it to office," said a senior government official working in the North Block.
Kejriwal blamed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for the hardship being faced by the people.
"Shinde has closed the Metro stations. I had told Metro officials to run the service. They said they cannot do it as Delhi Police has closed them. Shinde is causing inconvenience not only to us but also to the general public. He has closed the Metro stations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender