AAP govt becoming victim of its own style: Arun Jaitley
New Delhi: Hitting out at AAP again for its unconventional style of governance, BJP on Sunday said publicity without substantive governance was simply "gimmickry" the continuance of which would invite public ridicule and anger.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley, said that, when it came to governance, AAP had confused substance with style.
Its (AAP`s) "unconventional style is not a substitute for substantive governance," Jaitley added.
"Publicity as regards the style of governance without any substantive governance is simply gimmickry. Responsible governance has a lasting impact. Gimmickry is always short- lived," he said.
"Continued gimmickry without substance invites public ridicule and anger. The AAP government is now becoming a victim of its own style. The sooner it realises that, it would have an opportunity to correct the error into which it is falling," he said in an article.
Noting that the AAP government had an historic opportunity to honour the confidence which the electorate in Delhi had reposed in it, Jaitley, however, cautioned that voters were ruthless in making their choices.
"They (voters) vote in a government and can turn their anger towards the same if it fails to perform," he said.
Governance involves policy formulation and implementation, the BJP leader said. Policies have to be sound and based on established principles while their implementation has to done in a transparent and honest manner, Jaitley added.
"Getting positive publicity for serious governance can be a part of clever politics blended with good governance. Publicity without governance is gimmickry," he said.
He said there are two challenges in Delhi ? that concerning the unprivileged sections who are seeking basic amenities and the other of its aspiration to become a global city.
The comments come at a time when Jaitley has asked his party to take a cue from the success of AAP and reach out to the people with big ideas in order to project the picture that the future of India was secure in its hands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends