AAP govt likely to replace DCW chief: Sources
New Delhi: The AAP government is likely to replace Delhi Commission for Women chairperson Barkha Singh, who has been accused by party members of having "politicised" the role of her office while dealing with the midnight raid episode allegedly involving Law Minister Somnath Bharti.
Sources said that in keeping with the tradition, Singh, a former Congress MLA, should have resigned after her party was ousted from power in the recent Assembly elections. They added that she is likely to be replaced soon.
Following a party directive, all Congress members had relinquished their positions on the various Delhi government boards and commissions following the electoral drubbing.
Meanwhile, Bharti`s lawyers and Singh had a public confrontation today after she refused to allow them to present the minister`s response in the case.
Claiming that a lawyer had misbehaved with her, Singh said she has written to the Lt Governor with the recommendation that an FIR be filed against Bharti in the midnight raid case.
DCW had summoned Bharti over allegations that he had last week led a group of AAP workers on a raid against some African women in south Delhi after claiming they were involved in a drug and prostitution racket.
Bharti had been asked to depose before the commission this afternoon, but he sent his lawyers instead who explained that the law minister was absent due to "some urgencies".
AAP, in a statement, has said that it "strongly disapproves of the politicisation of the Delhi Commission for Women by its chairperson".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion