AAP has moral mandate to form government: Sisodia
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has the "moral mandate" to rule the national capital, Delhi Minister Manish Sisodia said Thursday, moving the mandatory trust motion in the assembly.
"Our party already has the moral mandate, which has been given to us by people of Delhi," Sisodia said.
"We have formed the government, but we faced a dilemma - we got 28 seats and we were short of a majority. However, we had the moral responsibility to form the government," the minister said.
"We went to the people and asked what they thought - and they told us to form the government," he added.
Ending the "VIP culture" in Delhi, and bringing a strong Lokpal is among the priorities of the AAP government, Sisodia said.
He also said the government wanted to regularise contractual workers, improve schools, hospitals, and will oppose FDI in retail.
The Aam Aadmi Party took power Saturday on the strength of its 28 seats in the 70-member Delhi assembly. The Congress, with eight legislators, has declared its support to the Kejriwal government.
The Bharatiya Janata Party, with 32 members, is the single largest party in the assembly elections to which were held Dec 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation