AAP holds poll victory rally at Jantar Mantar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After making an astounding debut in the recently-concluded Delhi Assembly Elections, the Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday took out a massive rally at Jantar Mantar to celebrate its victory.
The performance of the newly-formed AAP has created ripples in the Delhi political battleground. Despite winning maximum constituencies, the BJP has failed to get a majority.
The Congress on Tuesday indicated it might give unconditional support to the AAP to form a government in Delhi even as the Arvind Kejriwal-led party pledged to neither give nor take legislative backing from anyone and the BJP said it was ready for fresh elections.
As uncertainty over government formation continued after elections threw up a hung assembly, the Congress -- which won only eight seats -- appeared wary of another election which could devastate it further in the city.
In contrast, the Bharatiya Janata Party, the single largest group in the 70-seat house with 31 members, and the AAP, which won 28 seats in its very first election, remained defiant, refusing to form a government.
"Considering the present situation, we are not in a position to form the government. We are ready for re-election," BJP`s chief ministerial candidate Harsh Vardhan said.
A party source told a news agency: "Even the possibility of forming a minority government seems bleak."
Former BJP president Nitin Gadkari told the newly-elected legislators to prepare for fresh polls, party sources said.
Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel added: "Instead of trying form a coalition, we would rather sit in the opposition."
AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal has time and again made it clear that his party won`t prop up the BJP in Delhi.
Meanwhile, a snap poll on Tuesday said most people in Delhi want the one-year-old AAP, which took birth following the anti-corruption campaign of Gandhian Anna Hazare, to form a government.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling