AAP leader Kumar Vishwas apologises after JD(U) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatens to withdraw support
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After Janata Dal (United) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatened to withdraw support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi, AAP leader Kumar Vishwas has issued an apology to calm the matter.
Vishwas said he is sorry if he has hurt the sentiments of any religion.
“My aim was not to hurt the sentiments of anyone. The video clipping he (Iqbal) is talking about has been edited before being released,” Vishwas said.
He said, "I had said this sometime in 2005, there was no controversy till today. But it surfaced first time in 2013. BJP edited it and uploaded the 48-second clip on their official handle."
He added, “Regarding support to the AAP government, it is their decision whether to support us in Delhi.”
Iqbal had said that he would withdraw support to AAP government if Kumar Vishwas failed to tender a public apology over his controversial remarks on Muharram.
Iqbal had voted in favour of Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government during the trust vote in Delhi Legislative Assembly.
He had alleged Vishwas had joked about Muharram during an event.
"This kind of use of language about a religious event is shocking and extremely derogatory," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best