AAP leader Kumar Vishwas apologises after JD(U) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatens to withdraw support
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After Janata Dal (United) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatened to withdraw support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi, AAP leader Kumar Vishwas has issued an apology to calm the matter.
Vishwas said he is sorry if he has hurt the sentiments of any religion.
“My aim was not to hurt the sentiments of anyone. The video clipping he (Iqbal) is talking about has been edited before being released,” Vishwas said.
He said, "I had said this sometime in 2005, there was no controversy till today. But it surfaced first time in 2013. BJP edited it and uploaded the 48-second clip on their official handle."
He added, “Regarding support to the AAP government, it is their decision whether to support us in Delhi.”
Iqbal had said that he would withdraw support to AAP government if Kumar Vishwas failed to tender a public apology over his controversial remarks on Muharram.
Iqbal had voted in favour of Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government during the trust vote in Delhi Legislative Assembly.
He had alleged Vishwas had joked about Muharram during an event.
"This kind of use of language about a religious event is shocking and extremely derogatory," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note