AAP leader Kumar Vishwas apologises after JD(U) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatens to withdraw support
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After Janata Dal (United) MLA Shoaib Iqbal threatened to withdraw support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi, AAP leader Kumar Vishwas has issued an apology to calm the matter.
Vishwas said he is sorry if he has hurt the sentiments of any religion.
“My aim was not to hurt the sentiments of anyone. The video clipping he (Iqbal) is talking about has been edited before being released,” Vishwas said.
He said, "I had said this sometime in 2005, there was no controversy till today. But it surfaced first time in 2013. BJP edited it and uploaded the 48-second clip on their official handle."
He added, “Regarding support to the AAP government, it is their decision whether to support us in Delhi.”
Iqbal had said that he would withdraw support to AAP government if Kumar Vishwas failed to tender a public apology over his controversial remarks on Muharram.
Iqbal had voted in favour of Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government during the trust vote in Delhi Legislative Assembly.
He had alleged Vishwas had joked about Muharram during an event.
"This kind of use of language about a religious event is shocking and extremely derogatory," he had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev