AAP minister Rakhi Birla`s car attacked in Delhi, escapes unhurt
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi Minister and Aam Aadmi Party leader Rakhi Birla`s car has been reportedly attacked by some unknown people here on Sunday evening.
According to the initial reports, the ministers car was surrounded by a group of people in Mangolpuri area here which is surprisingly her own constituency.
"Rakhi Birla`s car was surrounded by a crowd that smashed the windscreen of her car. No injuries have been reported till now," police said.
However, immediately after the incident, when asked by reporters
whether she will take security, Birla said she will not seek any police protection.
"I will not take any security. This is a decision based on our principle. I am not scared and I will keep working for people`s welfare," she said.
Notably, the 26-year-old Rakhi is the only female face in the Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal`s Cabinet. Rakhi holds Delhi`s Women and Child Social Welfare Department.
According to the police, Rakhi was returning after attending a function in R block of Mangolpuri area when her car was attacked.
"Our party leader Santosh Koli had sacrificed her life for the society. We are committed to serve the people. I draw inspiration from Santosh Koli and will not be scared by any such incidents," Birla said.
Three other party workers were accompanying Birla in the car when the incident took place. After the incident Birla had visited Mangolpuri police station and filed a complaint.
She had defeated Congress` heavy weight Raj Kumar Chauhan to win the Mangolpuri seat in the recent Delhi Assembly polls.
28-year-old AAP leader Santosh Koli, who was to contest the assembly polls, had died in August last year at a Gurgaon hospital after she was injured in a road accident.
The fatal accident took place on June 30 last year when Santosh was riding to the party office with a fellow party member and a car rammed the two-wheeler from the back near Pacific Mall in Kaushambi in Ghaziabad and sped away. She had sustained severe brain injuries in the accident.
In the first cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Kejriwal, it was decided that no ministers and officials in Delhi Government will use red beacon.
The cabinet had also decided that no PSOs and escort vehicle will be provided to any officials and security will be allowed based on threat perception. AAP, in its manifesto, had promised to end VIP culture in Delhi.
Meanwhile, Birla had a hectic schedule today. She first went to the studio of a news channel for live telecast after which she attended a meeting on the working of Mohalla Sabha in Mangolpuri.
Thereafter, at 5.30 PM, she went to Santoshi Mata Mandir in Mangolpuri for a programme and at 6.15 PM when she was returning from the temple, the incident of attack took place in the crowded area.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'