AAP MLA MS Dhir will be Speaker of Delhi Assembly: Arvind Kejriwal
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party MLA MS Dhir will be the Speaker of Delhi Assembly. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal confirmed the same on Tuesday.
With both the BJP and the Congress failing to come up with a name for the post of the Speaker, the onus was left to the AAP to choose a Speaker from amongst its MLAs.
Delhi Assembly session is starting from tomorrow.
BJP leader and MLA Jagdish Mukhi had last night declined to be the pro-tem Speaker of Delhi Assembly.
Mukhi was appointed to the post by Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung.
The AAP stunned everyone with their spectacular performance in their first outing and won 28 seats in the recently concluded Delhi Assembly polls. The BJP won 31 and SAD bagged 01 seats in the 70 member House.
The BJP told the LG that they could not prove majority on the floor of the House, when invited to form the government. The numbers needed was 36.
The Congress, on the other hand, offered outside support to the AAP to form the government in Delhi. The AAP went to the people and sought their opinion on whether they should go with the Congress.
After the survey, they announced that they would form the government in Delhi as the people wanted them to. AAP convener, Arvind Kejriwal became the seventh and the youngest Chief minister of Delhi on December 28. He took oath at Ramlila Maidan, the venue of the movement against corruption in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report