AAP moves confidence motion in Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party government on Thursday moved a confidence motion on the floor of the Delhi Assembly and urged members to rise above political affiliations and support alternate governance for the people of Delhi.
AAP leader Manish Sisodia, while moving the vote of confidence said, "It is not the individual MLAs who are sitting here, it is the people of Delhi who are sitting here, each of the 70 MLAs sitting here represent Delhi`s people."
"The people of the country are watching today that what kind of decision will be taken here today," he said.
"We are not a party, we are representatives of people and urge the MLAs of all party`s to rise above party lines and support alternate governance for the people of Delhi," he said.
Sisodia, who is a minister in the Kejriwal-led AAP government, said his party didn`t compromise to form the government. The people of Delhi gave AAP the "moral mandate" to form government, he said.
Terming it a historic day for AAP, Sisodia, who was flanked by Chief Minster Arvind Kejriwal, said, "We are here for development. We stand here to clean the politics of the country.
"We want to ensure that people in Delhi get clean water to drink and cheap electricity. We are here for the traders, farmers and youth of Delhi. We will improve the facilities for the people of Delhi," he said.
Kejriwal government will have to cross the halfway mark with 36 seats to win the floor test.
In the 70-member Assembly, AAP has 28 MLAs, eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of 8 MLAs of Congress party. BJP has 31 MLAs while its ally Shiromani Akali Dal has one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened