AAP moves confidence motion in Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party government on Thursday moved a confidence motion on the floor of the Delhi Assembly and urged members to rise above political affiliations and support alternate governance for the people of Delhi.
AAP leader Manish Sisodia, while moving the vote of confidence said, "It is not the individual MLAs who are sitting here, it is the people of Delhi who are sitting here, each of the 70 MLAs sitting here represent Delhi`s people."
"The people of the country are watching today that what kind of decision will be taken here today," he said.
"We are not a party, we are representatives of people and urge the MLAs of all party`s to rise above party lines and support alternate governance for the people of Delhi," he said.
Sisodia, who is a minister in the Kejriwal-led AAP government, said his party didn`t compromise to form the government. The people of Delhi gave AAP the "moral mandate" to form government, he said.
Terming it a historic day for AAP, Sisodia, who was flanked by Chief Minster Arvind Kejriwal, said, "We are here for development. We stand here to clean the politics of the country.
"We want to ensure that people in Delhi get clean water to drink and cheap electricity. We are here for the traders, farmers and youth of Delhi. We will improve the facilities for the people of Delhi," he said.
Kejriwal government will have to cross the halfway mark with 36 seats to win the floor test.
In the 70-member Assembly, AAP has 28 MLAs, eight short of a majority. AAP has the support of 8 MLAs of Congress party. BJP has 31 MLAs while its ally Shiromani Akali Dal has one.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference