AAP seeks mandatory disclosure of assets, bank accounts by people
New Delhi: To curtail flow of black money, the existing law should be amended to make it mandatory for citizens to disclose all their assets and bank accounts in India and abroad, the AAP on Monday said.
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, AAP leader and senior advocate Prashant Bhushan said, "A new law, or an amendment to an existing law (such as the Prevention of Money Laundering Act), requiring all Indian citizens to disclose all their assets and bank accounts in India and abroad needs to be introduced."
He said such a law would require citizens to annually disclose a full list of their assets and liabilities, including their stakes in companies or trusts registered abroad.
Any undisclosed assets should be treated as "proceeds of crime", he suggested.
"Any income or assets that are not disclosed in the required form would be deemed to be proceeds of crime, and included as predicate offences defined under the UNCAC (UN Convention Against Corruption).
"This would enable the law enforcement agencies to recover the said assets under provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, or the provisions of the UNCAC allowing for seizure and confiscation of assets that are proceeds of crime," the letter stated.
Bhushan also noted that participatory notes and anonymous investment funds should be stopped.
"Instruments such as participatory notes and anonymous investments by funds or shell companies need to be disallowed with immediate effect. Every time a company invests in stocks or other financial instruments in the Indian stock exchange or elsewhere, the relevant authority must be able to determine the exact ownership of the investment, ending in the final individuals who hold the money that is being invested.
"In the case of investments made in the name of a company or a trust, the major stakeholders of the company, or the trustees of and duly recorded, before the investment is allowed," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in