AAP to replace North West Delhi candidate with Rakhi Birla
New Delhi: The AAP Tuesday withdrew the candidature of Mahendra Singh from the North West Delhi constituency for his alleged involvement in criminal cases. Former Delhi minister Rakhi Birla will be fielded from the seat, a party official said.
Singh, a social activist, had a number of criminal cases against him, an Aam Aadmi Party leader said.
"There were criminal cases against him (Singh)," the AAP official said, adding that the party was earlier unaware of them.
According to the party official, Singh had spent "three months in jail last year in a case of fake currency circulation".
The party told him it was cancelling his nomination, and Singh agreed to it.
Rakhi Birla, who was the youngest minister in the Arvind Kejriwal government, will be fielded from the seat, a party leader told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145