AAP twin rallies to test support base in Delhi
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party will hold two rallies–one for auto rickshaw drivers Thursday and the other on August 3–here to test its support base.
The first rally at the Ramlila Maidan will be for the party`s crucial vote bank - autorickshaw drivers.
The August 3 gathering at Jantar Mantar will press for dissolution of the Delhi assembly.
Party leader Manish Sisodia said "(Party chief) Arvind (Kejriwal) will listen to problems of auto drivers, but he will also tell them not to overcharge passengers."
He said harassment of autorickshaw drivers by police has increased ever since the NDA government came to power in Delhi.
Asked whether the rally success will be considered a show of strength for the party with the assembly elections in mind, a senior party member said: "The tone will be set in the Aug 3 rally."
Delhi has been under President`s rule since Feb 14, 2014, when Kejriwal quit as chief minister over the Jan Lokpal bill being stalled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets