AAP urges Najeeb Jung to change MLA fund spending law, threatens stir
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Saturday asked Lt Governor Najeeb Jung to change a "discriminatory" act that disallows MLAs from spending their funds for development work in group housing societies` areas here and threatened to launch a city-wide stir if its demand was not met.
Addresing a press conference, AAP MLA Rajesh Garg said there is a rule that MLAs fund cannot be used for the development work and welfare for the people living in group housing society flats, which is a "discriminatory" act of the government.
"A large number of AAP workers and supporters will sit on a `dharna` at DCC Chowk, Sector 9 of Rohini on July 13 against the discriminatory treatment to the residents of the group housing societies," Sanjay said.
He added that if government doesn`t change this rule, AAP will then stage protest across the national capital.
"We urge the Lt Governor to change this rule and allow MLAs to spend their funds on the development works. Besides, flats and plots allotted by the DDA are maintained by the civic agencies," Rajesh Garg, an MLA from Rohini, told reporters here.
Garg claimed that there are more than 2 lakh flats in about 1,000 group housing societies in Delhi where a population of around 10 lakhs are housed. Despite this, MLAs funds are "not being spent" on development works like roads, parks, sewage, storm water drains and street lights situated inside these societies.
Another party leader Sanjay Singh also said that AAP has decided to launch a series of agitations against the "discriminatory act" of the government.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- LG Electronics posts 415% increase in Q1 profit
- Apple to open its stores in India as govt panel waves 30% local sourcing condition
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS