AAP volunteers assaulted during membership drive
New Delhi: Two volunteers of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) were on Friday assaulted by unidentified assailants while they were engaged in a membership drive in south Delhi, police said.
Shekhar and Ghulab, in their mid-20s, were thrashed and beaten by sticks by more than 10 people while they were conducting the party`s membership drive in the Bijwasan area.
According to the police, a call was received around 10 a.m. The police reached the spot and took the victims to Safdarjung Hospital from where they were discharged after treatment.
Col. Devendra Shehrawat, AAP`s assembly candidate from the same constituency alleged that the attackers belonged to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
"They (attackers) were saying it is the BJP`s bastion," Shehrawat told a news agency.
He also said the attackers threatened the volunteers of dire consequences if the latter extended the membership drive.
Police said a case was registered against "unknown people".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot