AAP`s unique idea - Abandoned buses to be modified into night shelters in Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal-led government in Delhi has come forward with an unique idea of providing night shelters to the homeless people. The newly formed Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government has decided to modify abandoned buses and turn them into night shelters.
The Facebook page of the AAP today said: “All abandoned buses in Delhi are being modified into night shelters. These buses will be provided with blankets and basic amenities so that the homeless can at the least sleep properly.”
Few days ago the Delhi government had announded that it would be opening 100 new night shelters across the city over the next few days with a view to providing relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
“AAP has always believed in low cost, innovative solutions and we will try our best to solve citizens problems using such solutions,” the Facebook post said.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal last week had directed all SDMs in the national capital to conduct night-time inspections in their respective areas to ensure that the existing shelters were being run properly.
Urban Development Minister Manish Sisodia and Delhi`s new Women and Child Social Welfare Minister, Rakhi Birla recently took a surprise inspection of the night shelters in the city to check the plight of the shivering poor.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on January 03 Friday issued a notice to the Delhi government for failing to provide adequate shelter to about 1.5 lakh homeless people surviving on city`s roads in the winter chill.
"About 1.5 lakh destitute people are spending life on Delhi`s footpaths and over-bridges. As per government orders, shelter homes in metro cities must get operational when the temperature drops below the season`s average, but the shelter homes in Delhi are still lying unattended," said the commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof