Aarushi case: No stay on case against Nupur
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday refused to stay dentist Nupur Talwar`s trial in the twin murder case of her daughter Aarushi and domestic aide Hemraj but issued notice to the CBI on her plea for review of its order for her prosecution in the case.
A bench of justices A K Patnaik and J S Khehar asked the
investigating agency to file its response within four weeks on
Nupur`s review petition.
In a rare step, the apex court had on March 15, decided to
hear in open court Nupur`s plea against its decision of giving
green signal for her prosecution in the case. Her husband,
Rajesh Talwar, however, has not filed any review petition.
A bench normally hears a plea for review of its order in
its chamber but it had accepted Nupur`s plea plea for an open
Nupur had moved the apex court seeking review of its
January 6 order, which had cleared the decks for Noida-based
dentist couple`s trial in the murder case, dismissing their
plea to quash criminal proceedings against them.
The bench had refused to interfere with the lower court`s
order, saying there was nothing wrong in the magistrate`s
order, taking cognisance of the charge sheet and summoning
Fourteen-year-old Aarushi, Talwars` sole daughter, had
been found dead at the family`s Noida residence on the night
intervening May 15 and 16, 2008.
The body of their servant Hemraj was found next day on
the terrace. The investigation in the case was initially
carried out by the Uttar Pradesh Police which had arrested
Rajesh Talwar on May 23, 2008.
The probe was handed over to the CBI on May 29, 2008 while
Rajesh Talwar was granted bail by the Ghaziabad court on July
The CBI, after probing the murder for over two and half
years, had filed its closure report in the case in the
Ghaziabad Special CBI court, saying it had been unable to find
evidence to prosecute the Talwars.
The Ghaziabad trial court had, however, rejected the CBI
closure report, saying there was enough prima facie material
in CBI`s report to put the couple on trial and had issued
summons to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog