Abdul Karim `Tunda` slapped in court premises; remanded to four days police custody
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) commander Syed Abdul Karim alias `Tunda` was slapped by an alleged activist of Hindu Sena in the Patiala court premises here on Tuesday.
The incident occurred when the Delhi police was producing Tunda in the court to seek an extension of his custody for further questioning. The attacker and his accomplice were detained.
Meanwhile, Tunda was remanded to four day police custody. He was arrested by Delhi Police last Friday.
The Delhi Police arrested Tunda, who masterminded a series of bombing in North India in 1996-98, from Indo-Nepal border.
The 70-year-old LeT operative had planned to carry out a blast in Delhi ahead of Commonwealth Games in 2010. He could not succeed in his nefarious designs though, as his aides were arrested.
Tunda, believed to be a close aide of fugitive don Dawood Ibrahim, is said to be involved in around 40 bomb blast cases in Mumbai, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Hyderabad and Surat.
Tunda, who is wanted in 21 cases in Delhi alone, has been closely associated with Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, who is wanted in India for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, a top LeT commander and another accused in the 26/11 attacks, Adam Cheema, wanted in connection with the Mumbai blasts, Wadhawa Singh Babbar, who leads the Babbar Khalsa International, Ratandeep Singh, Karachi-based Indian Mujahideen absconders Abdul Aziz alias Bada Sajid and others according to the Special Cell of Delhi Police.
`Tunda` yesterday admitted that he had links with former ISI chief Hamid Gul.
Tunda told interrogators that he met Gul in 1995 and was in constant touch with him since then. Delhi Police officials said that he had met Gul after reaching Pakistan via Saudi Arabia.
However, Gul denied any links with the Lashkar bomb-maker. Refuting Tunda`s claims, Gul said that he is ready to face any investigation and if it is true what Tunda is saying then evidence should be sent to Pakistan.
Tunda revealed that during his stay in Pakistan he was in touch with several anti-India terror outfits like ISI, LeT, Jaish-e-Mohammed and Indian Mujahiddin.
He told the investigators yesterday that underworld don Dawood Ibrahim stayed in a safe house in Karachi and was guarded by Pakistan`s intelligence agency ISI.
During his stay in Pakistan, 70-year-old Tunda, a bomb maker for LeT, told the police he had been in touch with people like Hafiz Saeed, Maulana Masood Azhar, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Dawood Ibrahim and several others wanted by India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- M&M incorporates Mahindra Airways as wholly-owned subsidiary
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies