Abhishek Verma charged under Official Secrets Act
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma faced fresh trouble on Wednesday with the CBI slapping a case against him under the Official Secrets Act after Defence Ministry certified that the documents allegedly handed over by his US-based estranged business associate were classified.
The CBI registered a case in the special court against Verma and unknown government officials after a formal complaint was received from the Defence Ministry stating that documents purportedly provided by US-based attorney C Edmond Allen, Verma`s business associate, were classified and violated OSA, official sources said.
After receiving the complaint, the CBI took legal opinion on the alleged involvement of Verma as documents were not recovered from his possession but were provided by a third person.
However, it was decided to register a case against Verma and unknown officials of Defence Ministry under section three of OSA (passing on sensitive information) and 120-B (Criminal conspiracy).
The CBI will now question senior defence ministry officials and retired defence personnel who are under the agency`s scanner for their alleged relations with Verma and other arms supplier lobbyists.
Allen had purportedly provided documents which deal with acquisition and future plans of the defence forces to CBI and other investigating agencies.
The sources claimed that Allen had alleged that these
were provided by Verma to show his influence in defence circles.
The documents include acquisition plans for next five years for the Indian Air Force and some of them relate to acquisition of UAVs and related system besides infrastructure developed by the IAF.
Allen and Verma have been engaged in litigations after their business ties turned sour. Verma had filed a case against Allen accusing him of cheating him of Rs 55 crore and forging documents to defame him. A litigation between the two is going on in the US as well.
On the other hand, Allen had sent complaints of alleged money laundering and other related crimes against Verma to various investigating agencies of India as well as the US.
CBI has already booked Verma and his Romanian wife Ancea Neascu for allegedly taking USD 5.30 lakh from Swiss firm Rheinmetall Air Defence AG for using his "influence" to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
Both are currently in judicial custody.
The agency last week slapped a case of alleged forgery against him as well. The Enforcement Directorate has also arrested the couple in a money laundering case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow