Abolition of management quota in sync with RTE mandate: Tharoor
New Delhi: Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor today welcomed the abolition of management quota for nursery admissions here and said the new rules are in sync with the RTE mandate.
"Management quota was being misused in the past and opportunities for education for general public were not fair. I am sure the Lt Governor must have that in mind (in abolition of the quota)," he told reporters here.
His reaction came against the backdrop of Lt Governor Najeeb Jung releasing the nursery admission norms yesterday for 2014-15 that abolished the 20 per cent management quota and ensures that schools would only admit children living within a radius of 6 km.
Though the minister said he has not gone through the norms in details, he felt the advantage that a student living in close proximity to schools will get is part of the RTE approach that seeks to achieve the same.
When his attention was drawn to the pending legislation related to education in Parliament and the fear that they would lapse with the end of the term of the 15th Lok Sabha, he hoped that some of them could be taken up in the Winter Session itself.
"Lok Sabha is still in session. It has been adjourned sine die and not prorogued. It can be convened again and there is a possibility that it will be convened again to consider certain bills," he said.
Lok Sabha had passed The National Institute of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2013 yesterday amid din the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price