ABVP grabs 3, NSUI wins one seat in DUSU polls
New Delhi: Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the students’ wing of the BJP, on Saturday bagged three out of four seats in the recently held Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) election.
However, Congress affiliated National Students Union of India (NSUI) grabbed the post of DUSU president.
NSUI nominee Ajay Chikara will be the new DUSU president, while ABVP candidate Vikas Choudhary was elected as the vice-president of the student`s body in the low-turnout elections that were held yesterday.
Only a little over 35 per cent of votes were registered in the high-stakes elections, thanks to the heavy rains that lashed the capital yesterday.
Chikara defeated his nearest rival Neha Singh of ABVP by a margin of 2,357 votes. While Chikara polled 11,164 votes, Singh got 8,807 votes.
The posts of vice-president, secretary and joint
secretary were all won by the ABVP, whose campaign was
centered on alleged corruption in the Congress-led UPA
Vikas Choudhary polled 11,855 votes, while NSUI`s
Bhupinder Choudhary got 8,075 votes in the elections to the
vice president`s post.
In the contest for the secretary`s post, ABVP`s Vikas
Yadav won by a margin of 2,351 votes defeating his nearest
rival of NSUI`s Parag Sharma.
ABVP`s Deepak Bansal will be the new joint secretary of
the DUSU as he trounced his NSUI rival Asish Choudhary by
Last year, the ABVP had won three of the top posts of the
student`s boy, including that of the president in the
elections whose campaign was centered around the alleged
corruption in Commonwealth Games.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why