Accident victim`s kin gets over 32 lakh compensation in Delhi
New Delhi: The family of a man, who died in a road accident involving a rashly driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 32 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
The tribunal directed National Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending truck was insured, to pay Rs 32,08,700 to two wives and seven children of deceased Mohd Badruddin.
Badruddin had died in the accident that took place on June 23, 2011, at MB Road near Mehrauli when he was travelling on a motorcycle as a pillion rider.
While awarding compensation, the tribunal said the accident had taken place due to rash driving of truck driver Hoshila Prasad Nishad leading to Badruddin`s death.
"Facts and circumstances rather show that on the aforesaid date, time and place respondent no.1 (Nishad) was driving the truck in a manner so rash and negligent resulting in an accident and death of Badruddin," MACT Presiding Officer Sanjiv Jain said.
Badruddin`s family members told the tribunal that the accident took place when an over speeding truck, driven by Nishad, hit his motorcycle from behind. Due to the impact, he fell down and the truck ran over him, they said.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, they said.
The 42-year-old victim was running embroidery business at the time of the accident and was earning Rs 20,000 per month.
The truck driver and owner did not appear in the court and were proceeded ex-parte.
The insurance company denied giving compensation alleging that the truck driver was holding a fake driving licence.
The tribunal, however, held that the insurance company was liable to pay the amount as the vehicle was insured with it and the driver was holding a valid driving licence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Banning cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Both US and India have been tolerant nations since their existence: Acharya Lokesh
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS
- New Hyundai Elantra launched in India: Know all about price, features
- Shocking! Indian surgeons remove 40 knives from cop's stomach (Watch)