Accident victim`s kin gets over 32 lakh compensation in Delhi
New Delhi: The family of a man, who died in a road accident involving a rashly driven truck, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 32 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT).
The tribunal directed National Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending truck was insured, to pay Rs 32,08,700 to two wives and seven children of deceased Mohd Badruddin.
Badruddin had died in the accident that took place on June 23, 2011, at MB Road near Mehrauli when he was travelling on a motorcycle as a pillion rider.
While awarding compensation, the tribunal said the accident had taken place due to rash driving of truck driver Hoshila Prasad Nishad leading to Badruddin`s death.
"Facts and circumstances rather show that on the aforesaid date, time and place respondent no.1 (Nishad) was driving the truck in a manner so rash and negligent resulting in an accident and death of Badruddin," MACT Presiding Officer Sanjiv Jain said.
Badruddin`s family members told the tribunal that the accident took place when an over speeding truck, driven by Nishad, hit his motorcycle from behind. Due to the impact, he fell down and the truck ran over him, they said.
He was taken to a hospital where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, they said.
The 42-year-old victim was running embroidery business at the time of the accident and was earning Rs 20,000 per month.
The truck driver and owner did not appear in the court and were proceeded ex-parte.
The insurance company denied giving compensation alleging that the truck driver was holding a fake driving licence.
The tribunal, however, held that the insurance company was liable to pay the amount as the vehicle was insured with it and the driver was holding a valid driving licence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!