Accused gets life term in Chandrasekhar murder case
Patna: A designated CBI court on Friday handed life imprisonment to a person convicted for the murder of CPI-ML (Liberation) leader and former Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union president Chandrashekhar.
Designated CBI court Judge Chaudhary Birendra Kumar Rai also ordered that the convicted Rustam Khan to pay a penalty of Rs 40,000.
On Wednesday, the court had convicted Khan of the murder committed 15 years ago, and had reserved the order for punishment for today.
Chandrashekhar was shot dead by unidentified armed assailants in Bihar`s Siwan district on March 31, 1997 while he was campaigning against criminalisation of politics.
Investigation is on against former RJD MP Mohammad Shahabuddin for his alleged involvement in the murder case.
The CBI court had on March 2012 sentenced three persons - Dhruv Kumar Jaiswal, Shekh Munna Khan and Iliyas Bari alias Mintu - to life imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 40,000 on each after finding them guilty of the murder.
Mian`s case was being tried separately by the CBI court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday