Acid attack: Man gets life in jail for killing two
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Delhi court for throwing acid on two brothers, leading to their death.
The judge also issued a show-cause notice to two eye-witnesses, who were declared hostile during the trial, for "hiding true facts from the court."
Additional Sessions Judge Raj Paul Singh sent Sanjay, who belongs to Bihar, behind the bars for life and also imposed on him a fine of Rs 1 lakh, which it said "shall be paid to the family of the deceased as compensation."
"I have gone through the cross-examination of witnesses and the counsel for the accused could not breach their credibility. Further, as per FSL report, nitric acid was detected to be ingested on the clothes of the deceased persons.
"Further, the accused has made confessional statement and got recovered plastic cane from which he took acid and poured upon Dhananjay and Akshay. All these facts lead to legitimate inference that it was Sanjay who caused their death by throwing acid," the judge said.
The prosecution case was that Sanjay was working in a steel and alloy factory in Bawana in northwest Delhi.
On October 24, 2009, he threw acid on Dhananjay and his brother Akshay, who were working in an adjacent plastic factory, leading to their death by ingestion and burns.
The complaint was made by Rishi who was the eye-witness to the incident and also worked with the victims.
Sanjay`s employer also told the court that he was informed by two other workers Lakhendra and Rajeev that a quarrel had erupted between Sanjay and the victims and he had threatened them to kill them by throwing acid on them.
After arrest, Sanjay pointed out that he had taken nitric acid from his factory, where it is used to dissolve rust from wires, and had thrown it on the victims.
Sanjay`s colleagues, who had witnessed the incident and
informed their employer about it, were made prosecution witnesses but turned hostile.
On this, the court directed that they had "deliberately deposed falsely and have suppressed true facts from the court".
"Let show-cause notice for September 23 be issued against them as to why proceedings shall not be initiated against them for giving false evidence."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand