Acid-attack victim moves SC for free treatment like Nirbhaya
New Delhi: A 34-year-old girl whose face was burnt and who lost vision in one eye in an acid attack eight years ago has approached Supreme Court, which sought response from the Centre and the UP government as to why she should not be compensated from Nirbhaya Fund and given free treatment.
A bench headed by Justice R M Lodha issued notice to the Centre and the state government on a plea of Kumari Nargis who informed the court that she has not received any compensation from the governments despite apex court order and pleaded that she too be given free medical treatment like the December 16 gangrape victim.
"Victim of recent gang rape Nirbhaya was sent by the Centre to Singapore by a private plane at the cost of public exchequer and was treated there. The petitioner being citizen of India deserves the same equal protection of law for treatments on the ground of parity," senior advocate Parmanand Katara, appearing for the petitioner, said.
In this case Nargis, a law graduate hailing from Agra, was allegedly attacked by friends of his brother-in-law for opposing his marriage with her sister. Her face was burnt and she lost vision in one eye in the attack.
Referring to the apex court verdict directing that acid-attack victims be compensated by at least by Rs 3 lakh, she submitted that she has not been given any compensation by the governments.
"Issue an appropriate direction to governments to send her to Singapore for better medical treatment and for reconstruction of her face by plastic surgery on a par with Nirbhaya," she said in her plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide