Action-packed Day 1 in office for Arvind Kejriwal: 7 key points
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Having wrested power in the capital by promising sweeping change in policy matters and functioning of bureaucracy, Arvind Kejriwal began his stint as Delhi Chief Minister on a flourishing note on Saturday.
Within hours of assuming office in the national capital, the Aam Aadmi Party leader shunted nine senior bureaucrats from their departments and laid down actionable deadlines for delivering on key promises made by him and his party.
Seven key decisions and announcements he made on his first day in the office included —
Kejriwal`s first day in the Delhi Secretariat was spent in hectic brainstorming sessions with top government officials, a cabinet meeting on the new government`s strategy and hide-and-seek with journalists.
After being sworn in as the chief minister, Kejriwal reached Delhi Secretariat at around 2 pm in his blue WagonR car only to find scores of eager journalists wanting to ask questions, mainly: How will he bring changes overnight?
He was besieged by a horde of journalists as he approached his office on the third floor of the sprawling office located in ITO in central Delhi. But he managed to make his way to his office room.
After some moments, the chief minister emerged from the room and held a brief press briefing in which he announced the portfolios of his six cabinet ministers and the agenda of the cabinet meeting that he held at 2.30 pm.
After the cabinet meeting, in which the heads of the departments and cabinet ministers were present, he held back-to-back meetings with Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi, officials of the power department, the Delhi Jal Board and other departments.
Interestingly, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Satya Prakash Rana met Kejriwal to complain that he has promised free water to households having piped water and what has he planned for those who don`t have such access to water supply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth