Action planned against illegal hookah bars, court told
New Delhi: Hookah bars being illegally run from city restaurants would soon face action, the civic agencies told the Delhi High Court on Monday.
"A restaurant licence does not allow hookah bars and is valid for serving food only... if they (restaurants) are running hookah bars, it is not permissible," said an advocate appearing for a civic agency, assuring speedy action against the outlaws.
The Delhi government earlier opposed the illegal bars and said that youngsters were getting attracted to these outlets despite the health hazards.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw was told by government counsel Najmi Waziri: "The government has expressed its concern over these hookah bars where youngsters are going."
The municipal authorities should "go and see how restaurants are following the provisions of licences given to them", the government said.
Waziri said that in most of these bars there was no separate area for smoking.
The court allowed a public interest litigation against the hookah bars running in restaurants illegally and decided to pass a detailed order later.
Petitioner NGO World Lung Foundation-South Asia, though its president G.R. Khatri, sought action against illegal hookah bars.
The NGO alleged that restaurants that had obtained licences only to serve food had been running hookah bars illegally.
The petition sought effective implementation of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act (COTPA) and the Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places Rules.
The civic agencies supported the petitioner and informed the court that they were preparing an action plan against restaurants running illegal hookah bars.
The court observed that "if there is any violation of COTPA by restaurants, the civic agency should taken action against them".
Advocate Lalit Bhasin, appearing for the National Restaurant Association of India, opposed a total ban on hookah bars, saying there was no breach of law if tobacco hookahs were allowed in areas specified for smokers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?