Admission racket in DU busted, three arrested
New Delhi: Police on Saturday claimed to have
smashed a racket involved in helping students get admission in
Delhi University colleges using fake caste certificates for Rs
three to five lakh with the arrest of three youths, including
a contract employee in a tehsildar office here.
The racket led by Himanshu Gupta allegedly managed to
get admissions for 12 students, including four girls, this
admission season in eight colleges. The colleges included Sri
Ram College of Commerce, Kirori Mal College, Kamla Nehru
College and Moti Lal Nehru College.
Himanshu (26) and his associates Vikas (24) and Ketan
Gupta (24) were arrested on Thursday following investigations
into inputs about a racket operating in Delhi in which
students were getting admitted in various colleges on the
basis of forged caste certificates.
Ketan is a data entry operator on contract basis and
it was he who allegedly helped the gang in making fake
certificates and upload it on government website.
Himanshu was the first to be arrested from near Hans
Raj College in North Campus when he came there with a girl
aspirant who had scored 91 per cent in Class XII for getting
her admitted in B.Com course in the institution.
Forged caste certificate of the girl student,
admission form and a bank draft were recovered from him.
"The caste of the girl in the forged caste certificate
was mentioned as `Gujjar` and her residence was shown as Lado
Sarai whereas she does not belong to `Gujjar` community nor
does she live in Lado Sarai," Ashok Chand, Deputy Commissioner
of Police (Crime), said.
Himanshu`s interrogation led to the arrest of his two
associates Vikas and Ketan from Pushp Vihar and Mehrauli
On the modus operandi, Chand said, Himanshu and Vikas
floated an educational consultancy firm and advertised in the
leading news papers in Delhi and other cities about
They charged Rs 3 to 5 lakh for each student for
ensuring admission in the college of their choice.
"They gave assurances to students and their parents
that they will ensure full-proof admission. They got prepared
forged caste certificates and submitted the same along with
the other documents to the colleges for admission," Chand
In this academic session, 10 forged caste certificates
shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Mehrauli, were
allegedly prepared by Ketan.
"Data of the forged certificates was uploaded by Ketan
on the official website so that if anybody checked its
authenticity, the same could be verified from the official
website. Three forged caste certificates shown as issued from
the office of Tehsildar in Ghaziabad were got prepared by one
of their associates Satish who is absconding," Chand said.
Chand said the gang was operating since 2008. In the
previous years, they have secured admission of students in
Delhi University on the basis of forged caste certificates
shown to have been issued from Ghaziabad.
However, according to them, number of such admissions
were few. "This year they got Ketan in their network. Hence,
they could get more students admitted in the colleges of Delhi
University on the basis of forged caste certificates," Chand
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared