Advised surgery at Safdarjung, Wait for at least three months!
New Delhi: If you are planning to undergo
surgery at Safdarjung hospital, the country`s largest, be
prepared for at least a three-month wait.
Increasing patient rush and insufficient infrastructure
are making things difficult for the hospital which accepted
that waiting period in different surgical departments is
varying between three to six months.
According to official data, anyone going for a major
operation in the paediatric surgery department for ailments
like ectopia cordis, a birth defect in which the heart is
abnormally located, will have to wait for at least three
months whereas for a minor procedure it may extend to four to
Similarly, in the department of Urology the waiting
period for any procedure was five months as on January 01 last
year but it reduced to three months on December 01, 2009.
The plastic surgery and burns department also takes
about three to six months to perform any plastic or
One of the Chief Medical Officers of the hospital Dr
Sitalakshmi blamed mismatch between patient load and available
infrastructure for the waiting period.
Replying to a Right to Information application filed
by a Mumbai-based activist Ajay Marathe, Sitalakshmi admitted
that the hospital does have a waiting period for surgical
"If the number of patients to undergo surgery is 48 and
the number of OT table with the hospital is only six, then
the waiting period arises. The tables should be increased to
atleast 40 to give way to the waiting period," Sitalakshmi
According to data provided by the hospital, 84,920
surgeries were performed during the year 2009 which
averages to over 232 major and minor surgeries per day.
There is a need for more hospitals in neighbouring
states and periphery regions of NCR to ease the rush of
patients here, said one of the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India