Advocate arrested for car thefts
New Delhi: An advocate, who was allegedly involved in theft of more than 40 vehicles from different parts of the city, has been arrested and 15 stolen vehicles have been recovered, police said on Thursday.
"Rajiv Goyal, a Bahadurgarh resident and a member of Bahadurgarh Bar Council in Haryana, was arrested from Rohini Sector 15 on the complaint of a car owner," Additional CP (West District) V Rengnathan said.
Goyal had stolen a car with registration number DL 3FB 0070 and using it after changing the number plate to HR 70 AF 0070. The matter came into light when he went to Action Balaji Hospital to get his father admitted who was suffering from brain haemorrhage on November 26.
"The owner of the vehicle noticed the car and informed police. Police searched the vehicle and got information about admission of patient at the hospital. Goyal admitted over telephone that the vehicle belongs to him but he didn`t turn up at police station for enquiry," the officer said, adding that he was later apprehended from Sector 15, Rohini.
During interrogation, he confessed to his involvement in the theft of more than 40 vehicles from different part of Delhi.
The accused also admitted that he had himself got an FIR registered about the theft of his car and claimed insurance amount and later sold it through fake registration papers.
"Till date 15 vehicles were recovered at the instance of accused Goyal and 15 cases have been worked out so far," Rengnathan said.
Photo identity cards, visiting cards, stickers, original and forged registration certificates, keys and equipment used to unlock vehicles, chargers and 15 cars have been recovered, the official said.
Goyal himself used to prepare fake registration certificates using his laptop and printers. He used to sell them in open markets and most of them were disposed off as scrap in Dujana in Haryana`s Jhajjar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional