African student injured in road mishap discharged from AIIMS
New Delhi: An African national who was
seriously injured in a road accident recently in which two
iron rods jutting out of a truck pierced his body was
discharged from AIIMS today.
Adoma, 22, a student of information technology (IT) and a
national of Ivory Coast, met with a major accident when two
iron rods, each weighing 15 kg, pierced through and came out
from the other side.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference here, Dr Amit
Gupta, assistant professor, department of surgery, AIIMS
Trauma Centre said, "He is hale and hearty and fit to be
discharged. He has to come here only for his routine
physiotherapy. All the other injuries have been taken care
Accompanied by his mother, Adoma said, "I do not remember
much about the incident... This is my second birth. There must
be something worthy in store for me that I am walking out of
this hospital fit and fine.
"I thank all the doctors, the fire brigade men and the
police officials because of whom I am alive today. I have
decided I will not leave this city till I have completed my
studies," he said.
The incident happened near Savitri cinema in south Delhi
on April 19 after the car in which he was travelling along
with a friend rammed into a truck-laden with iron rods.
Doctors at the AIIMS had to remove a portion of his lung
to successfully complete a four-hour surgery while removing
the rods piercing his chest.
His friend, Cheika, also an African national was also
hurt in the accident and a rod pierced his leg. He was
discharged a week ago.
This is the second such successful case where doctors in
the city have successfully removed iron rods that went through
the body of an accident victim.
In 2008, doctors in AIIMS had operated upon Supratim
Dutta after a five-ft long iron angle that had rammed into the
bonnet of the car pierced the dashboard and impaled him
through the torso.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!