After 13-year trial, blueline bus driver let off
New Delhi: A blueline bus driver, sentenced
to six months in jail for causing grievous hurt to a woman passenger by his rash driving, has been let off by a Delhi
court with a fine on the ground that he faced trial for over
13 years in the accident case.
Additional Sessions Judge Lal Singh modified driver
Raghunath`s sentence awarded by the magisterial court after he
showed repentance for his act and assured the court that he
would be a "useful citizen in society" in future.
The judge showed leniency to him as he had four minor
children and was the sole earning member of the family.
The driver also prayed that he was facing trial in the case since 1998.
"Accused (Raghunath) is stated to be having four young
children and youngest girl is of two years and he is the sole
bread earner in his family. Keeping in view this fact also,
the accused deserves some leniency. In my view, Raghunath
deserves an opportunity to reform himself without going to
jail," the judge said.
"So far as the present case is concerned it relates to
the year 1998 and the appellant (Raghunath) is facing the
trial for such a long period. Otherwise, also the accused who
is present in the court reflected repentance and assured to be
a useful citizen in the society in future," the judge said.
The court, however, said from the testimonies of the
witnesses and case record, it was clear that Raghunath was
negligent and the accident was caused due to his rash driving.
"It is amply clear that Raghunath was negligent and he
had started the bus without ensuring that all the passengers
had alighted from the bus. It was clear that accident was
caused due to rash and negligent driving of Raghunath and due
to that the victim sustained injuries on her left leg," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS