After 13-year trial, blueline bus driver let off
New Delhi: A blueline bus driver, sentenced
to six months in jail for causing grievous hurt to a woman passenger by his rash driving, has been let off by a Delhi
court with a fine on the ground that he faced trial for over
13 years in the accident case.
Additional Sessions Judge Lal Singh modified driver
Raghunath`s sentence awarded by the magisterial court after he
showed repentance for his act and assured the court that he
would be a "useful citizen in society" in future.
The judge showed leniency to him as he had four minor
children and was the sole earning member of the family.
The driver also prayed that he was facing trial in the case since 1998.
"Accused (Raghunath) is stated to be having four young
children and youngest girl is of two years and he is the sole
bread earner in his family. Keeping in view this fact also,
the accused deserves some leniency. In my view, Raghunath
deserves an opportunity to reform himself without going to
jail," the judge said.
"So far as the present case is concerned it relates to
the year 1998 and the appellant (Raghunath) is facing the
trial for such a long period. Otherwise, also the accused who
is present in the court reflected repentance and assured to be
a useful citizen in the society in future," the judge said.
The court, however, said from the testimonies of the
witnesses and case record, it was clear that Raghunath was
negligent and the accident was caused due to his rash driving.
"It is amply clear that Raghunath was negligent and he
had started the bus without ensuring that all the passengers
had alighted from the bus. It was clear that accident was
caused due to rash and negligent driving of Raghunath and due
to that the victim sustained injuries on her left leg," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks