After HC verdict, Cong for negotiated settlement on Ayodhya
New Delhi: Congress on Friday favoured a negotiated settlement to the Ayodhya issue saying all right thinking people should work for a compromise within the next three months in wake of the Allahabad High Court verdict.
At the same time, AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh made it clear that the crime of demolition of Babri Masjid has not been diluted by the verdict and all the guilty should be punished.
"Absolutely not", was the cryptic response of Singh, who is in charge of party affairs in Uttar Pradesh, when asked whether the verdict has condoned the act of demolition of the
disputed structure at Ayodhya.
Asked about Congress` view on political fallout of the verdict, Singh said, "Congress has been saying that the issue should not be linked with politics.... "Not only the government, but all right thinking people should work for a negotiated settlement. From our side, we
will try for a settlement. The issue should be resolved."
Singh said that the party will respect the judicial pronouncement but added that there are three months for filing an appeal and a negotiated settlement can be worked out in
Warning BJP against politicising the issue, he termed the statement of party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad as "offensive." Singh, who is known for spitting venom against the Sangh
Parivar, said the statement of the RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on the verdict was better than that of the BJP veteran L K Advani.
On whether the Muslims were angry with the Congress after the judgement, he said, "I do not look at it politically. No one should do politics with such a sensitive issue. I do not see it in terms of political gains or losses".
Congratulating the people of the country for showing sagacity, wisdom and patience in the wake of the verdict, Singh said that this was "commendable". He refused to comment on SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav`s statement that he was disappointed over the verdict as it was based upon faith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says