Ahead of bypoll, BSP workers in Okhla seat join Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Wednesday got a shot in
its arm ahead of the September 15 Okhla Assembly bypoll when
50 BSP workers in the constituency joined the party.
The BSP workers, including several office bearers, joined
Congress in the presence of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit at a
The workers said they have lost confidence in Brahma
Singh Bidhuri, the BSP candidate from the seat and that is why
decided to join Congress.
Welcoming the BSP workers to the party fold, she asked
them to campaign for Congress candidate Farhad Suri. Suri was
also present on the occasion.
The bypoll to the seat was necessitated after Congress
MLA Pervez Hashmi got elected to Rajya Sabha. Hashmi had
retained the seat for the fourth consecutive term in the last
BJP has fielded Irfan Ahmed, a Muslim, while RJD has
given a ticket to Mohammad Asif who lost the election in
November last year by a narrow margin of 400 votes.
Former MLA and NCP candidate Ram Singh Bidhuri is also a
strong contender. The constituency has nearly 43 per cent
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader