AI, Kingfisher flights come close to each other midair
New Delhi: An Air India plane and a
Kingfisher Airlines aircraft came close to each other while
manoeuvring over Delhi airspace earlier this month, raising
the risk of a collision, after which two Air Traffic
Controllers (ATCs) were taken off the duty.
The vertical separation between Air India flight IC-941
from Hyderabad to Delhi and Kingfisher Airlines` Delhi-to-
Bhubaneshwar flight IT-3345 came down to 700 feet as against
the required 1,000 feet when they were manoeuvring over Delhi
A conflict alert was generated at the ATC display when
the Kingfisher plane was climbing to 17,500 feet and Air India
aircraft was descending to 18,600 feet on April 5 when they
were about 35 nautical miles south of Delhi.
However, the Airport Authority of India maintained
there was "no serious collision risk" when the two planes,
together reportedly carrying 300 passengers, came close to
"Both the aircraft at this stage were separated by
1,100 feet and seven nautical miles away from each other
laterally as against the standard requirement of 1,000 feet in
vertical dimension and three NMs laterally," the AAI said.
The two planes were also on "different flight paths"
as one was approaching for landing and the other departing, it
"Even though there was a breach of separation while
executing the (collision) avoiding manoeuvres by the two
aircraft, there was no risk of collision," the AAI said.
The ATCs were de-rostered as per standard procedure
while necessary investigations were being carried out on the
April 5 incident, Airports Authority of India sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda