AICC Screening Committee meet on Delhi candidates inconclusive
New Delhi: The first meeting of Congress Screening Committee on Thursday could not finalise guidelines for shortlisting candidates for Delhi Assembly polls and instead tasked Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and DPCC president JP Agarwal to finalise criteria for selecting the ticket seekers.
The Screening Committee headed by V Narayanasamy told Dikshit and Agarwal to prepare a panel of candidates for each constituency based on criteria finalised by the two.
Sources said the Screening Committee will have back-to-back meetings on Saturday, Sunday and Monday where the shortlisted candidates finalised by Dikshit and Agarwal will be examined.
They said the Screening Committee will also examine whether the shortlisted aspirants fulfilled the criteria and guidelines for selection of candidates.
The sources said Dikshit and Agarwal were told to finalise panel of candidates for 28 seats where Congress candidates were defeated in last assembly polls.
"No decision on whether almost all sitting MLAs will be considered for tickets has been finalised. Dikshit and Agarwal will have the option of suggesting panel of candidates for constituencies where there is a sitting MLA," said a source.
Besides, Narayansamy, other members of the Screening Committee include Bhubaneshwar Kalita, Shakeel Ahmed, J P Agarwal, Dikshit and Kuldip Nagra.
The 27-member Election Committee in its three meetings had failed to finalise a list of probable candidates following differences among the members and left it to the Screening panel to shortlist the ticket aspirants.
Dikshit was in favour of giving tickets to all sitting MLAs barring those facing criminal charges but some Election Committee members opposed her views arguing that it will defeat Rahul Gandhi`s call for giving voice to grass root workers in selection of candidates.
Around 1,600 Congress men have applied for tickets.
Sources said the list of probable candidates will be sent to AICC Central Election Committee headed by Sonia Gandhi which is likely to meet on October 22 and 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says