Aide claims charges against Mirchi in UK dropped
London: British prosecutors, investigating
the case against Iqbal Mirchi, have dropped charges that he
threatened to kill a man in the UK and has discontinued
proceedings against him, the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim`s
close aide claimed on Monday.
While the Crown Prosecution Service declined to make any
comment, Muhammed Iqbal Memon, also known as Iqbal Mirchi said
in a statement said the allegations of threats to kill against
him were motivated and also blamed the Indian media for
portraying him in bad light.
"I am very grateful to the British Justice System for
investigating these false allegations against me so
expeditiously and discontinuing all proceedings against me.
"I have always protested my innocence and this has now
been proven. I believe that the allegations of threats to kill
against me were motivated by a conspiracy to blackmail me for
money which has been unsuccessful," he said.
Mirchi was earlier charged with attempted murder and
produced in the Redbridge Magistrates Court in the UK last
He was charged with threatening to kill a 41-year-old man,
identified as Nadeem A Kader who also lives in the Hornchurch
area of Essex where Mirchi owns a palatial six bedroom house.
Earlier reports had said that Kader was a nephew of Mirchi.
"I have been portrayed incorrectly by the Indian press for
over 20 years without any evidence. I hope this matter will
now bring an end to all malicious reporting against me.
"I am very thankful to god and happy that finally justice
has prevailed," the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged