AIIMS admission racket: Court grants bail of doctors
New Delhi: Two doctors, arrested by the CBI for allegedly manipulating admission process for post-graduate courses at All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS),
were on Wednesday granted bail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge R Kiran Nath granted bail to
doctors Noopur Bajpai and Sonal on a personal bond of Rs
20,000 each with one surety of the same amount.
"Both the accused are granted bail," the judge said.
The two doctors have been accused of colluding with the
purported mastermind, Dr Mahipal Singh, in manipulating the
The court passed the order after hearing arguments by
advocate Promod Dubey, who, appearing for the two accused,
contended there was no evidence against them and there was no
apprehension that they would tamper with the evidence or
hamper the probe.
Dubey sought bail saying the investigations in the case is
complete and also referred to the CBI`s statement that no
further custodial interrogation was required in the case.
The bail pleas, however, were opposed by the CBI, which
said the nature of the offence was serious.
Apart from Bajpai, Sonal and Singh, the CBI had also
arrayed two other doctors, Amit Aggarwal and Jyotsana as
accused in the case along with Rajiv Ghatak, a data entry
The CBI had booked the accused for allegedly committing
forgery, cheating and criminal conspiracy.
The agency had also slapped Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against Mahipal Singh, a 2010
Radiology graduate from AIIMS, who was arrested in June last
year and is still under judicial custody.
Rajiv Ghatak, who allegedly smuggled out answer sheets
while working as a data entry operator in a company hired by
AIIMS to process the answer sheets, has also not yet secured
the bail. The bail plea of Mahipal Singh is likely to be heard
tomorrow by the Delhi High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre