AIIMS admission racket: Court grants bail of doctors
New Delhi: Two doctors, arrested by the CBI for allegedly manipulating admission process for post-graduate courses at All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS),
were on Wednesday granted bail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge R Kiran Nath granted bail to
doctors Noopur Bajpai and Sonal on a personal bond of Rs
20,000 each with one surety of the same amount.
"Both the accused are granted bail," the judge said.
The two doctors have been accused of colluding with the
purported mastermind, Dr Mahipal Singh, in manipulating the
The court passed the order after hearing arguments by
advocate Promod Dubey, who, appearing for the two accused,
contended there was no evidence against them and there was no
apprehension that they would tamper with the evidence or
hamper the probe.
Dubey sought bail saying the investigations in the case is
complete and also referred to the CBI`s statement that no
further custodial interrogation was required in the case.
The bail pleas, however, were opposed by the CBI, which
said the nature of the offence was serious.
Apart from Bajpai, Sonal and Singh, the CBI had also
arrayed two other doctors, Amit Aggarwal and Jyotsana as
accused in the case along with Rajiv Ghatak, a data entry
The CBI had booked the accused for allegedly committing
forgery, cheating and criminal conspiracy.
The agency had also slapped Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against Mahipal Singh, a 2010
Radiology graduate from AIIMS, who was arrested in June last
year and is still under judicial custody.
Rajiv Ghatak, who allegedly smuggled out answer sheets
while working as a data entry operator in a company hired by
AIIMS to process the answer sheets, has also not yet secured
the bail. The bail plea of Mahipal Singh is likely to be heard
tomorrow by the Delhi High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed