AIIMS doctors go on strike after three colleagues were assaulted
New Delhi: Three senior resident doctors at AIIMS were on Sunday allegedly assaulted by a patient`s relatives following which doctors at the premier hospital went on an indefinite strike demanding adequate security measures.
The doctors alleged that those accompanying the patient to the Surgical Emergency of the institute brandished guns and created a ruckus before beating up the three doctors, who were on duty, and fleeing the hospital campus in an SUV by breaking the main gate of AIIMS.
The hospital administration lodged a complaint with the police which have arrested three persons in connection with the incident.
The resident doctors have gone on strike demanding that enough armed security personnel be deployed outside the Emergency to prevent such incidents.
"We all resident doctors have gone on strike from this evening. This is not at all done that patients` relatives assault doctors who are after all there to save their lives. We try our best. Today three senior resident doctors were beaten up, and during the incident one of the doctors` nasal bone was fractured," Dr Shashank Pooniya, General Secretary of AIIMS Resident Doctors Association, said.
"We demand from the administration that security should be deployed outside the emergency. Not just security, but armed security should be there to prevent such untoward incidents from happening," he said.
According to hospital sources, the patient was brought to the Surgical Emergency where the senior resident doctors on duty examined him and found it to be a case of neurosurgery and a neurosurgeon was called.
Meanwhile, the doctors present on duty performed the initial procedure, but before the neurosurgeon reached the ward the patient`s family got agitated and pulled out pistols and created a ruckus in the emergency ward.
They also beat up three resident doctors before fleeing from the hospital in their SUV by breaking the main gate of AIIMS, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!