AIIMS gives 12-digit UID to block near Delhi
New Delhi: In a first, the country`s premier
institute AIIMS has given a 12-digit Unique Identification Number (UID) to 89,000 inhabitants of Ballabgarh block near
Delhi in order to keep track of health care services being
delivered to them.
An initiative of the department of community medicine at
AIIMS, this 12-digit useful identification facility was aimed
at keeping a tab on proper delivery of all health care
projects, including immunization programme, started by the
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
"Our objective is to see that health care is delivered to
all. Through this project we try to manage all important
health conditions. We also keep tab of births and deaths. Each
individual has a 12-digit unique identification number and
four our help in our database its alpha numeric 17-digit
number," Dr Sanjay Rai, associate professor with the
department of community medicine who is posted at Ballabgarh
This 12-digit has project area (one digit), Primary
health care centre (one digit), village code (two digit),
house number(four digit), family number (two digit) and
individual number (two digit).
Dr Rai said that they headed for alpha numeric 17-digit
UID number as a permanent solution and to keep the demands of
He said, "Suppose one united family breaks up and people
start living in two different houses then the house number
changes. What follows is that the flow of the UID breaks. That
is why a alpha numeric 17-digit number.
"Even in case of a birth of a new child or the death of
someone in the family or the marriage of a girl from one
village to another, the UID flow gets effected. Here 17-digit
UID will come to rescue".
Dr Rai said, "today we have a database of each and every
89,000 individual of the 28 villages here. Our health care
workers visit every house at a interval of 15 days to keep tab
of health condition of each individual in each household.
know well who has missed out on an immunization programme and
these workers go and remind them about it".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini