AIIMS MBBS students begin relay hunger strike
New Delhi: Agitated MBBS students at All India Institute of Medical Sciences on Wednesday began an indefinite
relay hunger strike to demand removal of its director in the
wake of the alleged suicide by a first-year student.
"We have called for a hunger strike too as the
administration has not met all our demands yet," a protesting
Anil Meena (22), who belonged to Baran district in
Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room
on Sunday morning. He was immediately taken to the hospital
where doctors declared him brought dead.
Wearing black ribbons and raising slogans, MBBS students
at AIIMS have been demanding resignation of its Director R C
Meanwhile, AIIMS authorities have constituted a panel
comprising senior faculty to verify whether Meena`s results
had been prepared as per prescribed rules.
This, sources said, is being done in view of discontent
among under-graduate students with the mentoring mechanism in
the institute and also the complaint that the recommendations
of the Thorat Committee have not been fully implemented.
The AIIMS Director has also appointed former UGC Chairman
Prof Sukhdev Thorat to examine the extent of implementation of
the recommendations of the panel headed by him.
The committee probed allegations of caste discrimination
on the campus and recommended welfare and academic enhancement
of undergraduate students, particularly those from SC/ST/OBC
Thorat committee said AIIMS, despite requests, "has not
taken initiative to arrange remedial coaching in English,
basic courses or any other spheres for SC/ST students as is
required by central government educational institutions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional