AIIMS nurses stage protest, demand action against officials
New Delhi: Over 700 AIIMS nurses on Tuesday staged a protest in the institute demanding action against the Deputy Nursing Superintendent and chief Nursing Officer over the recent death of a nurse Molly Siddichan, who allegedly committed suicide at her home by hanging herself.
The nurse was apparently depressed over her transfer to another department and had left a suicide note.
According to the AIIMS nurses` union, Molly who worked in the Intensive Care Unit of the Neuro Tower centre for eight years, was transferred to the ward where she was being harassed mentally by the administration.
"Her duty was transferred to the ward in the Neuro Tower centre where she was being mentally harassed by the administration. She was frequently put on night duty and even her child care leave was not sanctioned," said Anil Kumar, Joint Secretary of the AIIMS nurses union.
The union gave 48 hours to the AIIMS administration to take action against the two officers.
"We demand that the Deputy Nursing superintendent and the chief Nursing officer should be suspended," said Kumar.
As per sources, AIIMS Director met some of the members from the Union and is likely to set up a committee to probe the matter.
Molly lived with her family in Ashram area. According to AIIMS sources, she was brought to the hospital`s emergency between 9.30am and 10am on Sunday where she was declared dead on arrival.
She had gone to the church in the morning with her husband and two children.
"However she left early saying she was not feeling well. When her husband along with the two children returned home at around 9.30am, they found her hanging from the ceiling fan," said a doctor.
Police recovered a suicide note from the spot. "The suicide note states she was very upset with her transfer. Prima facie, it appears that she was depressed over her transfer to another department following which she took such an extreme step," said a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon