AIIMS: SAC wants judicial probe into student death
New Delhi: A section of students at AIIMS on Wednesday demanded a judicial enquiry into the alleged suicide by a first-year student in his hostel room earlier this month.
"Anil Kumar`s death is not the first in the institute. In the past, a similar episode happened when Balmukund Bharti, a final year student of the reserved category committed suicide in 2010.
We wish to prevent such episodes in future and that is why we want a judicial enquiry and have three demands in this regard," Dr Mahendra Meena, convenor of the Students Action Committee said.
On March 3, Anil (22), who hailed from Baran district in Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room. He was immediately rushed to the hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Immediately after the episode, nearly 400 MBBS students called off classes and went on an indefinite hunger strike that continued for four days before hospital authorities promised to look into some of their demands.
With no redressal action, the Students Action Committee, a group comprising a section of undergraduate students and resident doctors of AIIMS, demanded for a judicial enquiry into the death of Anil.
"We also want that AIIMS should duly compensate to Anil`s family as he was their only hope and they invested whatever they had in his education," Meena said.
Seeing the discontentment among under-graduate students with the administration that followed after Anil`s death, AIIMS Director R C Deka had appointed former UGC Chairman Sukhdev Thorat to examine the extent of implementation of the recommendations of the panel headed by him.
"The Thorat Committee recommendations should be implemented with immediate effect in letter and spirit and the academic reforms should be planned and executed to prevent such irreparable losses in future," Meena said.
Meanwhile, the students have decided to take out a candle light march tomorrow evening inside the AIIMS campus.
"We have invited students from other medical colleges to join us tomorrow. We will submit this memorandum with our demands to the AIIMS administration after the march," Meena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says