AIIMS student commits suicide
New Delhi: An MBBS student at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling fan in his hostel room here, police said on Tuesday.
Himanshu Katara, in his 20s, was found hanging inside his room number 6 of hostel number 3 around 11.30 a.m. Tuesday. Admitted to the 2011 batch of medicos, he was in the fourth semester.
A suicide note was found from Katara`s possession in which he cited some mental illness which led him to take such an step, said a police officer.
According to the officer, the incident came to light when two other hostel inmates saw him hanging after they peeped inside his room through the window. "They informed other students and hotel warden," said the officer.
"Katara`s room was forced open in the presence of police and AIIMS officials. He was rushed to AIIMS casualty where doctors declared him dead," said AIIMS spokesman Y.K. Gupta.
Gupta also said that Katara`s mother and sister were informed about the incident at once.
"Katara, a resident of Rajasthan, was known to be a good student and his colleagues always found him friendly, cheerful and very social. He was always active and took part in various cultural and extracurricular activities," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH