Airhostess suicide: Court seeks clarification from Kanda, cops
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday posted for February 25 the hearing on the bail plea of ex-Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, an accused in airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, saying it needs certain clarification from the police and the accused on the arguments advanced by them.
Additional Sessions Judge Yashwant Kumar fixed the next date after the Delhi Police opposed the bail plea of Kanda saying he may influence the witnesses and tamper with the evidence.
Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan claimed the accused had given false documents related to treatment of his wife at a government hospital here to secure bail.
The prosecution claim was opposed by the counsel for Kanda who told the judge that it is a typographical error and if the police want they can verify from the hospital.
Kanda had approached the court on February 17 seeking bail on the ground that he has to look after his ailing wife.
He said he is under judicial custody for the last 18 months and the probe into the case has also been completed.
Kanda`s counsel had also told the court that the charges of sexual exploitation has been dropped against him by the Delhi High Court and earlier bail applications of his client were rejected on the ground that there were serious charges of sexual exploitation against him.
Kanda had surrendered before the police on August 18, 2012 while Aruna Chadha, Kanda`s employee and co-accused in the case, was arrested on August 8, 2012.
The High Court had recently granted bail to Chadha.
The trial in the case had begun on May 27 last year when the court recorded the statements of eight witnesses, including police personnel and the doctor who had conducted the postmortem of the victim.
Chadha and Kanda are accused of abetting the suicide of the 23-year-old former airhostess who was earlier employed in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
Both the accused have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim.
The air hostess was found dead on August 5, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened