Airport Express line suspends operation
New Delhi: Delhi`s high-speed Airport Express line suspended its operations from Sunday to carry out repairs in the civil structure, causing inconvenience to fliers who are dependent on this corridor to reach the airport.
Reliance Infrastructure, which operates the 23-km showcase corridor, had announced on Friday that it would close down the line till the repairs are done in view of safety of passengers.
Public notices were pasted at all six stations on the network that operations have been closed down for the time being.
Help desks have been set up at all stations to provide necessary information to passengers who come to board the train. Sources said the desks would continue to function for the next few days to help commuters.
They also said commuters, who have recharged their monthly coupons, can get refund at the help desks located at all stations.
The repairs on the line are expected to be completed by the end of August after which the line will be re-opened to public. The line has to be re-certified by the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety before it begins commercial operations.
A committee comprising officials from the Indian Railways, Delhi Metro and Reliance Infrastructure is already going into the nature of defects and would submit a report within the next 10 days after which rectification works would be carried out.
The temporary suspension of the corridor has caused inconvenience to commuters who preferred the Airport Metro to reach the Terminal-3 of Indira Gandhi International Airport and Dwarka.
The Government had yesterday said there were problems with the bearing which is the interface between the pillar and girder.
Out of 2100 bearings on the elevated section of the corridor, nearly 230 need some correction or the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!