Airport Express line suspends operation
New Delhi: Delhi`s high-speed Airport Express line suspended its operations from Sunday to carry out repairs in the civil structure, causing inconvenience to fliers who are dependent on this corridor to reach the airport.
Reliance Infrastructure, which operates the 23-km showcase corridor, had announced on Friday that it would close down the line till the repairs are done in view of safety of passengers.
Public notices were pasted at all six stations on the network that operations have been closed down for the time being.
Help desks have been set up at all stations to provide necessary information to passengers who come to board the train. Sources said the desks would continue to function for the next few days to help commuters.
They also said commuters, who have recharged their monthly coupons, can get refund at the help desks located at all stations.
The repairs on the line are expected to be completed by the end of August after which the line will be re-opened to public. The line has to be re-certified by the Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety before it begins commercial operations.
A committee comprising officials from the Indian Railways, Delhi Metro and Reliance Infrastructure is already going into the nature of defects and would submit a report within the next 10 days after which rectification works would be carried out.
The temporary suspension of the corridor has caused inconvenience to commuters who preferred the Airport Metro to reach the Terminal-3 of Indira Gandhi International Airport and Dwarka.
The Government had yesterday said there were problems with the bearing which is the interface between the pillar and girder.
Out of 2100 bearings on the elevated section of the corridor, nearly 230 need some correction or the other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31