Airport Metro line: UD sends status note to EGoM
New Delhi: The Urban Development (UD) Ministry has sent a status note on the Airport line metro to an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) underlining several issues related to the service, including debt.
The airport metro line is being operated by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) after Delhi Airport Metro Express Private Ltd (DAMEPL) pulled out of the venture.
However, the issue pertaining to an estimated debt burden of around Rs 2,000 crore remains unresolved.
DMRC has already written to the UD Ministry stating it would need financial assistance from the government, although the government itself feels that Delhi Metro should raise the funds on its own.
Sources said that the ministry has sent the note to the EGoM on Mass Rapid Transit System, headed by Defence Minister AK Antony, for its consideration and guidance.
The ministry is learnt to have apprised the EGoM about all the issues related to the Airport line, including the two- member inquiry report which looked into the defects in the service, leading to a temporary suspension of operations.
The ministry is also learnt to have raised with the EGoM issues related to the security of the line, sources said.
While DAMEPL had been reluctant to use CISF for security, sources said that with DMRC taking over, there could be no hurdle in deploying the force.
DMRC had taken over the operations of the Airport line after concessionaire DAMEPL had said they would not be able to run the services beyond June 30, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire