Airport Metro line: UD sends status note to EGoM
New Delhi: The Urban Development (UD) Ministry has sent a status note on the Airport line metro to an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) underlining several issues related to the service, including debt.
The airport metro line is being operated by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) after Delhi Airport Metro Express Private Ltd (DAMEPL) pulled out of the venture.
However, the issue pertaining to an estimated debt burden of around Rs 2,000 crore remains unresolved.
DMRC has already written to the UD Ministry stating it would need financial assistance from the government, although the government itself feels that Delhi Metro should raise the funds on its own.
Sources said that the ministry has sent the note to the EGoM on Mass Rapid Transit System, headed by Defence Minister AK Antony, for its consideration and guidance.
The ministry is learnt to have apprised the EGoM about all the issues related to the Airport line, including the two- member inquiry report which looked into the defects in the service, leading to a temporary suspension of operations.
The ministry is also learnt to have raised with the EGoM issues related to the security of the line, sources said.
While DAMEPL had been reluctant to use CISF for security, sources said that with DMRC taking over, there could be no hurdle in deploying the force.
DMRC had taken over the operations of the Airport line after concessionaire DAMEPL had said they would not be able to run the services beyond June 30, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble