Airport Metro to run every 12 mts at peak hours
New Delhi: To cater to the rising number of
footfalls at peak hours, the high-speed Airport Express Metro
will now run every 12 minutes, for three hours in the morning
and evening, starting from Monday.
Announcing the new system, the Delhi Airport Metro
Express (DAME) on Sunday said trains would now ferry commuters at
an interval of 12 minutes between 8 AM and 11 AM and between
5 PM and 8 PM.
During non-peak hours, the trains would maintain running
at every 15 minutes.
"Based on our internal study and keeping the comfort of
airport-bound passengers and office goers in mind, we
increased the train frequency to every 12 minutes, during
morning and evening peak hours," said Anil P Gupta, President
of Reliance Infrastructure which operates the line.
"Some of our recent commuter centric initiatives like
opening of Dhaula Kuan and Aerocity stations, increase in
train frequency and opening of passenger check-in facilities
have increased the ridership along the line and we need to
cater to their convenience," he said.
In addition to the four trains already operating in this
line, one more train has been deployed, creating a 25 per cent
additional passenger carrying capacity during peak hours, said
"Three more trains would be kept on standby for
convenience of commuters and if required, could be deployed in
the service anytime," he said.
According to Metro officials, starting with a footfall of
4,000, the number of commuters using the line has skyrocketed
to 18,000 since it became operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof