AISA sweeps JNU students` union polls, wins key posts
New Delhi: The Left-leaning All India Students Association (AISA) on Monday swept the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU) election, bagging three of the four top posts by huge margins.
Akbar Chaudhary was elected the president, Anubhuti Agnes the vice president, Sandeep Saurav the general secretary and Sarfaraz Hamid the joint secretary.
The results were declared Monday after votes were counted over three days. A total of 4,589 votes were polled.
Chaudhary, studying for a doctorate in philosophy, polled 1,977 votes, defeating Ishan Anand of the Democratic Students Federation (DSF) by 1,327 votes.
Agnes, pursuing an M.Phil in history, got 1,966 votes, defeating DSF`s Zeeshan Ali by 1,052 votes.
Saurav, from the School of Languages, polled 1,657 votes, beating National Students Union of India (NSUI) candidate Caroline Maninee by 953 votes.
Hamid, a French masters student, polled 1,705 votes, narrowly defeating DSF`s Sonam Goyal by 59 votes.
The major battle was between the AISA -- which also won three posts barring that of president in 2012 -- and the DSF, a breakaway group from the Students Federation of India (SFI).
"The students have recognised our efforts. In the last couple of months, we took up several issues like increasing the amount of scholarship from Rs.200 to Rs.500 along with mess and hostel accommodation issues," Chaudhary said. "All these contributed to our big win."
Agnes said, "Our initiative now is to make JNU a world class research university."
Manimee, who hails from Arunachal Pradesh, told IANS: "Though we lost, it is a great start for NSUI. In spite of the negative campaign against the NSUI, we could manage such a large number of votes."
DSF leaders attributed their loss to the lack of awareness about their ideology.
"This is what made the difference," said Ishan Anand, who contested for the president`s post.
Jubilant AISA candidates took out a rally on the campus after the results were declared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145