AISA sweeps JNU students` union polls, wins key posts
New Delhi: The Left-leaning All India Students Association (AISA) on Monday swept the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU) election, bagging three of the four top posts by huge margins.
Akbar Chaudhary was elected the president, Anubhuti Agnes the vice president, Sandeep Saurav the general secretary and Sarfaraz Hamid the joint secretary.
The results were declared Monday after votes were counted over three days. A total of 4,589 votes were polled.
Chaudhary, studying for a doctorate in philosophy, polled 1,977 votes, defeating Ishan Anand of the Democratic Students Federation (DSF) by 1,327 votes.
Agnes, pursuing an M.Phil in history, got 1,966 votes, defeating DSF`s Zeeshan Ali by 1,052 votes.
Saurav, from the School of Languages, polled 1,657 votes, beating National Students Union of India (NSUI) candidate Caroline Maninee by 953 votes.
Hamid, a French masters student, polled 1,705 votes, narrowly defeating DSF`s Sonam Goyal by 59 votes.
The major battle was between the AISA -- which also won three posts barring that of president in 2012 -- and the DSF, a breakaway group from the Students Federation of India (SFI).
"The students have recognised our efforts. In the last couple of months, we took up several issues like increasing the amount of scholarship from Rs.200 to Rs.500 along with mess and hostel accommodation issues," Chaudhary said. "All these contributed to our big win."
Agnes said, "Our initiative now is to make JNU a world class research university."
Manimee, who hails from Arunachal Pradesh, told IANS: "Though we lost, it is a great start for NSUI. In spite of the negative campaign against the NSUI, we could manage such a large number of votes."
DSF leaders attributed their loss to the lack of awareness about their ideology.
"This is what made the difference," said Ishan Anand, who contested for the president`s post.
Jubilant AISA candidates took out a rally on the campus after the results were declared.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!