Aiyar leaves Delhi, to be `hell out of country` during CWG
New Delhi: A vocal critic of the Commonwealth Games, senior Congress leader Manishankar Aiyar on Monday left the Capital, saying he will be "hell out of the country" during the mega sporting event.
"I am getting the hell out of the country," Aiyar said shortly before he left Delhi. He is believed to have gone to London with the event just round the corner. Aiyar had said last month that he was in no mood to witness the games and that he will opt to stay out of Delhi.
"I am hell out of the country for these two weeks, since I do no want to witness the games," Aiyar had said after attending ex-Union minister Shashi Tharoor`s marriage in
Kerala on August 22. The Games is due to start on October three.
59-year-old Aiyar, who has often gone ballistic for holding the Games in India, has stuck to his stand that it was premature for India to conduct such big sproting events. "The money being spent on the games could have been utilised for developing infrastructure in rural areas and for training sports persons in various disciplines to make India a strong sporting nation," he had said.
Aiyar had also created a furore by saying he would be unhappy if the Commonwealth Games are a success and that only "evil" will patronise them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh